Parotid swelling

I have been diagnosed with HIV+ in April/2009 ( CD4 138 ) ; But in 2002, I got parotid gland swelling . Is it proved that HIV will cause parotid swelling. Also I started HAART in Jan/2010 and from Apr/2009 to Jan/2010, I gained 6 kgs weight. What it indicates?

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thank for your question. Yes, HIV can cause parotid swelling. These glands are filled with lymphocytes which can be infected by HIV. Over time HIV can damage these glands and leave them empty like cysts. IF one side is much more swollen than the other, or they are very firm to touch it may be necessary to do a biopsy or aspiration (stick a small needle in to suck out some of the fluid to test). The weight gain afater starting HAART is usually seen when the medication effectively suppresses the virus. When you get the infection under control it saves the body from having to consume energy in fighting off the virus. So all that excess energy can add weight. It is a sign of recovery. You may need to change your diet now that you don't need so much energy anymore.

Best, Joe

CD4 350, VL 1816, 26% -Start?
Should I change doctors?