Is septrin the best

Am on septrin is it the best? I recently tested positive for Hiv and CD4 count confirmed to be 1834,What can i do to keep it High? I would like to have a baby, is it okay? finally the doctor said my CD4 count is above normal what does it mean?

Response from Dr. McGowan

Septrin or trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole is an antibiotic that is use for people with HIV with low CD4 counts to protect them against opportunistic infections such as Pneumocystis pneumonia and toxoplasmosis. This medicine would have no effect on HIV itself. Since your CD4 count is high there is no reason for you to use it for preventive therapy, perhaps you are on it for some other infection? There can be some problems using septrin during pregnancy near the time of delivery, the risks and benefits should be discussed with your doctor based on the reason you are using it.

Best, Joe

Follow-up to First Labs, Should I Start Meds
Still worried about possible HIV exposure.