Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Is septrin the best
Mar 14, 2010

Am on septrin is it the best? I recently tested positive for Hiv and CD4 count confirmed to be 1834,What can i do to keep it High? I would like to have a baby, is it okay? finally the doctor said my CD4 count is above normal what does it mean?

Response from Dr. McGowan

Septrin or trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole is an antibiotic that is use for people with HIV with low CD4 counts to protect them against opportunistic infections such as Pneumocystis pneumonia and toxoplasmosis. This medicine would have no effect on HIV itself. Since your CD4 count is high there is no reason for you to use it for preventive therapy, perhaps you are on it for some other infection? There can be some problems using septrin during pregnancy near the time of delivery, the risks and benefits should be discussed with your doctor based on the reason you are using it.

Best, Joe

Previous
Follow-up to First Labs, Should I Start Meds
Next
Still worried about possible HIV exposure.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.