Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Follow-up to First Labs, Should I Start Meds
Mar 12, 2010

Dr. McGowan,

I was just reading a question to you from someone positive for 2 years with CD4 around 400 and 17%. I've noticed that people who are diagnosed right after infection seem to start meds much earlier. I've been poz about 9 years and not on meds yet. I'm sure my numbers looked very bad right after infection. Isn't it true right after infection, numbers can look really bad (even like AIDS), but the immune system is still in very good shape. I know some people progress very fast, however.

I'm wondering if the questioner would be considered to be out of the acute infection stage at 2 years, and the CD4 of 400 would probably be the highest it is going to get not on meds? I have debates everyday about starting meds. Since my CD4 has been stable around 800, my doc keeps saying there is no rush. However, I keep reading about the unseen damage HIV is doing. I've read on Dr. Gallant's site how he thinks most all HIVers should be on meds and said a viral load near 30,000 is not good day after day. Mine has bounced around so much--14,000, 6,000, 27,000. It is a huge decision weighing the possible issues with meds vs having a good CD4 but vl in 20k's. I know we probably aren't going to get some definitive study saying what is best for a few more years. I would just hate to wonder down the road why I waited around if I should get sick with something. I've read people with high CD4s get lymphomas, KS, and other OI's. If there weren't issues with meds, then experts would recommend starting right away. I've also read the "hit hard and early" approach may be responsible for more resistance issues. It said many docs now say "hit later and carefully."

Thank you so much for all the great info!

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thank you for your post.

You have really summed up the issue very well. We are in a transition period in our thoughts about when to treat. We are learning that having virus growing in the body unchecked for years can do damage to various organs, including the heart and brain. It may be that once the initial insult has occurred, even if you later get the virus suppressed. The risk of drug resistance would come if people get tired of taking their meds and miss alot of doses. Based on your post, I do not think this would be an isue for you. The newer meds are better tolerated than in the past. I think the pendulum is swinging toward earlier treatment. Afterall there are very few infections that we know can cause significant illness that we have effective treatment for but we don't treat. The argument probably should be to treat unless there is a compelling reason not to.

Thanks, Joe

Previous
My first lab test - should i start meds?
Next
Is septrin the best

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.