Medication Change

I'm currently on Combivir/Sustiva and have had an undetectable viral load for many years now. Recently my VL became detectable (85). Can I be tested for drug resistance at a VL of 85? (I was told not.) Should I change medications or wait? If a change is recommended, what would be the first med combination would you suggest? Thanks for your input; discovering that my viral load is now detectable has thrown me for a bit of a loop this week. Keith

Hello Keith and thanks for your post.

A single viral load test that is very low (like yours) is nearly always a "blip". Such results can be caused by lab error, or low level activation of the immune system and generally are not indicative of any issues related to drug resistance, or the need to change medications.

All that really needs to be done (especially for peace of mind) is to have the test repeated under conditions of optimal adherence and the lack of any illness- I'll order these follow up tests in 2-4 weeks after the first.

Be well, BY

Best time to take Truvada with Isentress
Do I have to have a brain biopsy done?