Absorption of Meds

In response to another query, Dr. Young mentioned that the meds are absorbed into the system within 15-30 minutes of having been taken. Does that still hold when you are having diarreah problems on the day you took the meds? This happened to me today and I am worried about whether this will impact drug concentrations in my system.

Hello and thank you for your post.

In general, the answer to your question is yes. Having diarrhea that is separated in time from when you take the medications usually does not affect medication absorption. There are (as always) exceptions, like episodes of explosive diarrhea, where one might visualize whole pills (or food) in the stool.

If in doubt, speak to your health care provider about your symptoms and concerns.

Be well, BY

Side Effects
Reducing my medications