Treatment for experienced Patients

Since my official diagnosis in 1985 I went therough several singular and combination treatments. Currently my viral load is undetectable and T-cell count is at 400 level and slowly declining. To improve my T-cell count I'm thinking of adding an additional treatment to my long-term regiment of Ziagen, Norvir and Lexiva. I was thinking of perhaps, Isentress (although I hear it is better for new patients) or Maraviroc or an integrase inhibitor. How should I go about choosing an additional treatment,if you think that I really could use one? And can you recommend some comprehenisve current review(s)/studies on the topic? Thank you.

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your question.

There is no evidence to suggest that adding a medicine to a regimen that has kept the viral load undetectable would help increase the Cd4 count. It has been observed that treatment with a protease inhibitor based treatment often brings up the CD4 count better than non-PI regimens...you are already on a boosted PI (Norvir + Lexiva). There have been reports that the CCR5-antagonist maraviroc might also increase the CD4 count but a recent study did not support that strategy. The best approach at this point would be to stay adherent with your meds, eat well (especially green vegetables for your immune system) or take a multi-vitamin and work with your doctor to be sure that there are no chronic persistant infections that might be holding down the CD4 count (things such as tuberculosis, herpes viruses, previous opportunistic infections, hepatitis C).

Best, Joe

Truvada & Efavirenz
side effects