Any way I could be infected?

Dr. McGowan,

I had a possible exposure in July/August of 2003. After that I had 8 HIV tests out to April of 2004.

3 Blood Antibody, 3 Oral Swab, 1 PCR to 400 copies, 1 bdna to 50 Copies all negative.

Sept of 2009, general lymphadenopathy, had blood antibody test again negative. Yeast type infection between butt cheeks and viral infection in mouth after dental work.

December of 2009, blood antibody and PCR to 48 copies, both negative.

Since Sept of 2009 I've had aches in my legs which now have visibly thinned. Face has thinned as well.

Saw many specialists, finally an immunologist found I have low testosterone and markers for Lupus was high. I do not want to start any immune suppressive drugs in case HIV could still be an issue.

I've had 2 CD4 counts because I figured if HIV could not be found, that would me another way to see if something was going on. In 2003-2004 count was 1000, in Nov. 2009. count was 701.

I just really feel like it could be HIV, but not showing on tests.

From your own experience what could be a possible reason for HIV not showing up like this? Could there just be such a small viral load in plasma that I test negative?

I have a girlfriend since 2002 and her face also seems to be thinning, had a reoccuring C-Diff infection after taking antibiotics for an abcess tooth, feels tired a lot, sweats after small amounts of activity now, drank some alcohol the other night and had a persistent migraine for 2 days.

You can't give someone Lupus... so this makes me worry even more about HIV... I'm trying to be logical about this and my logic points to HIV putting all the pieces together.

My girlfriend was tested in 2004 and was negative, but has not been tested since.

This really affects my everyday life now.

Thanks for any advice or any ideas about what this could be if it's not HIV... other kind of transmissible viruses?

Thanks,

M.

Response from Dr. McGowan

Based on this info you do not have HIV. Lupus is a very good possibility. Stay safe to avoid contact with HIV but you are certainly not infected based on your risky sex in 2003. In fact you have tested yourself far beyond any recommendation to do so and risk getting a false positive if you keep sending more tests.

Best, Joe

varicella vaccine effect elisa test result?
CD4 Count Range Question