Viral Blip

Dr. Young, thanks for responding to my inquiry (Atripla & Siberian Eleuthero Standardized). From what I have been told so far, why I had a viral blip is not really known. I was given the reasons you mentioned. I was getting a series of vaccination shots. However, I was told that there was a lab malfunctioning and that may have affected my viral load result, giving a false viral blip. I was retested several weeks later and it was undetectable. I'm hoping in my case it was a lab error. Are lab errors common?

Hi again,

Good to hear back from you. If you were in the middle of your vaccination series, this could have caused a transient (and insignficant) elevation in viral load. Alternatively, it could have been a lab error.

Either way, by definition of returning to undetectable on repeat test, your's is a blip. Such transient elevations in viral load have been studied by multiple investigators and are not of any significant prognostic value.

Be well, BY

starting treatment
Side effects of cholesterol meds