starting treatment

hi, i have been diagnozed pos. five months ago. my cd4 count is only 184, therefore my doctor recomanded to start medication immideatly. i will be starting next week foll. med: 400 mg atazanavir, 300 lamivudine, 300 viread(all once a day). is this a good combination to start with? any side effects i can expect?

thank you so much for your answers. this is all so new for me and i am still very confused. but your site has helped me so much. thank you very much. p.s. i live in sao paolo, brazil, but i am sure you will recognize the different names of meds.

Hello and thanks for your post from Sao Paolo.

I agree with you and your doctor's assessment that it's time to start HIV medications.

I do have concern about the details of your proposed regimen. Viread (tenofovir) lowers Reyataz (atzanavir) levels, hence it's strongly recommended that if tenofovir/lamivudine (or FTC) is to be used with 'taz, that the later be boosted with ritonavir (Norvir), 100 mg daily and the 'taz dose be decreased to 300 mg daily. All of this can be taken at a single time, but should be taken with food. (ie., your regimen should be Viread 300 mg/ lamivudine 300 mg/ ritonavir 100 mg/ atazanavir 300 mg)

This is typically a very well tolerated regimen and quite popular here in the US. Side effects can include mild yellowing of the eyes and skin (jaundice) in about 5% of persons- this is not medically serious, but can be aesthetically problematic. Staying hydrated can help minimize this effect.

I'm happy to hear that TheBody.com has been helpful to you and wish you well,

BY

where to buy Tetrasilver tetroxide
Viral Blip