|Is this a good PEP regimen for 28 days
Feb 13, 2010
Dear Dr. Young,
Is this a considered an optimum PEP regimem for 28 days?
1 pill of Epzicom, taken with 4 pills of Kaletra , taken all at the same time once a day.
That's 5 giant horse pills at once.
| Response from Dr. Young
Abacavir (half of Epzicom or Kivexa) is generally not recommended for PEP. This isn't because the drug doesn't work against HIV, but rather that about 5-8% of the US and European population (less in Africa and parts of Asia) are at risk of developing a sometimes serious allergic reaction.
Lopinavir/ritonavir (Kaletra, Aluvia) is an often prescribed component of PEP. Perhaps not as well tolerated as some, certainly effective.
Frankly, I'm worried that the doctor prescribing your PEP isn't very familiar with current US PEP Guidelines.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Burning Red Spots After Fisting Worried I Have HIV
- Erectile Dysfunction After Eating Food Made By Someone With HIV Worried I Have HIV
- Eye Floaters After Licking Vagina Worried I Have HIV
- Eye Floaters After Unprotected Oral Sex Without Ejaculation Worried I Have HIV
- Itchy Rash After Licking Anus Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Muscle Ache After Sharing Sex Toys Sign Of HIV AIDS
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.