C Spine Fusion

I was recently diagnosed with AIDS after C Spine surgery. My viral load was 7800 with Tcells 33. The disc fusion failed and the doctor wants to do another procedure but my tCells are still only 130. I am on Atripla and have never missed a dose. Thanks

Hello and thanks for your post.

Sorry to hear about your surgery and HIV diagnosis. I'm interested to hear more as to why your fusion failed- was it because of poor bone density? (i.e., did the hardware not take because the vertebrae are brittle?) I ask the question because such issues are not uncommon among persons living with HIV, perhaps more commonly among people with low nadir CD4 counts. For this reason, increasing number of HIV specialists are screening patients' bone mineral density.

Short of that concern, assuming that your viral load is undetectable and with rising CD4s, you're not at greater intrinsic risk of healing problems or infection.

So, if (unfortunately) you need more surgery to fix that painful neck and the doctor thinks that it's otherwise safe, I think it would be ok.

Good luck, BY

Atripla & Siberian Eleuthero (Standardized)
headache