not offered PEP at e.r. WHY?

my son was exposed through an attack by someone admittedly infected. He was cut, bitten and scratched. PEP was never mentioned at the ER, and now that I found this info, it says 72 hours is the limit. Is there a protocol for who is given PEP information? I feel sooooooooo angry that something COULD have been done!

Hello and thank you for your post.

I can't speak to the Emergency Room decisions, but the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued these post sexual-exposure recommendations .

In brief, the guideline states: "The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) Working Group on Nonoccupational Postexposure Prophylaxis (nPEP) made the following recommendations for the United States. For persons seeking care <72 hours after nonoccupational exposure to blood, genital secretions, or other potentially infectious body fluids of a person known to be HIV infected, when that exposure represents a substantial risk for transmission, a 28-day course of highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) is recommended".

I hope that your son is well, BY

My oral thrush won't go away
RE:Why low cd4 count and low viral load?