Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

How long after PEP will the medication be completely out of my system
Feb 4, 2010

Thank you for your amazing website!

Upon successful completion on the 28th day of PEP (and stopping all my potent PEP medication) how long does it take the body to completely "get rid of" all the toxic medicine from my blood stream?

When can I expect the nasty side-effects from 4 weeks of PEP to finally wear off?

How long before my blood, kidney, liver function, etc return to normal "pre-PEP" levels?

And since I'm supposed to get tested at 8 weeks, 3 months, and 6 months...is there any harm in just waiting the full 6 months and then getting tested ONCE (rather than putting myself through the anxiety of 3 HIV tests)?

Thank you!

Response from Dr. Young

Hello; thanks for your post and comments.

The precise answer to your question depends on which drugs you were prescribed.

In general, most HIV medications are gone from the body in 2-4 days after the last dose. As for body functions, one can hope that you had no significant toxicities after your 28 day (or 1 month) treatment. Should you have toxicities (or abnormal function), this should definitely be monitored by your healthcare professional.

As for follow up testing, one could wait the full 6 months, but I find that this tends to raise the anxiety meter. We typically test at 1,3 and 6 months.

Best of health to you, BY

Previous
Are people with HIV eligible to donate bone marrow?
Next
atripla and multi-vitamins

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.