Are people with HIV eligible to donate bone marrow?
Feb 3, 2010
I have been living with HIV since February of 2006. I have a friend from high school who is a cancer survivor. Due to the chemo and other treatments, she may have to have a bone marrow transplant. Are people with HIV eligible to donate bone marrow or is it a risk factor as it is with giving blood? Thanks so much!
Response from Dr. Young
Hello and thanks for your post.
Sorry to hear about your friend. Unfortunately, if you're HIV+ you wouldn't be eligible to be a bone marrow donor.
Best wishes, BY
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Chance Of Getting HIV From Nipple Sucking
- Chances Of Getting HIV From Unprotected Oral Sex Without Ejaculation
- Do People Get AIDS From Anal Fisting?
- How Long Do I Wait To Get Tested After Unprotected Oral Sex Without Ejaculation?
- Odds Of Getting HIV Lap Dance
- Fever After Masturbation Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.