Atripla vs Truvada + Issentres

I was diagnosed about a month ago with a viral load of 22,000 and CD4+ of ~430. My physician recommended i go on Truvada+Issentress, saying that he picked that over Atripla bc Atripla has nightmares as a side effect. I am currently a 2nd year medical student, and although I am trying to go to sleep earlier, my sleeping hours are not always consistent. Are there really any other pros or cons that my physician may have chosen this specific treatment option over Atripla?

Thank you so much

Response from Dr. McGowan

One of the most common side effects with Atripla can be "neuropsychiatric" effects...meaning "dizziness", sleep disturbance, vivid dreams or nightmares. This is due to the efavirenz component. The comb is best taken on an empty stomach before bedtime. Food increases efavirenz absorption and can increase the symptoms. Bedtime is good so you can "sleep off" some of the adverse effects. Now not all people get this but it may be difficult when you have erractic hours, tests to study for and just wait for residency when you will be praying to go back to med school. I believe that is the most likely rason for the recommendation. Both are "preferred" combos in the DHHS HIV treatment guidelines (http://aidsinfo.nih.gov/contentfiles/AdultandAdolescentGL.pdf).

Good luck in school.

Joe

Herpes
1st time on meds // epzicom and Isentress please help