Time to switch?

Hello Doc, My husband (Age 31) started Atripla(Apr'09) when his CD4 was about 15 (VL= 600K, CD4%= 11) and had Cryptococcal Meningitis. Right now his CD4= 170, VL= <50 and CD4%= 18. His ID doc says that if his CD4 does not reach 350 in next 6 months then they will switch him to some other medication. Per my understanding, doctor should change his meds only if there is any AE/SAE or drug resistance. Also please let me know when it is recommended to change regimen in cases other than these. Does he have good chances to have cd4 > 350 ever? Also has it ever happen in the medical history that cd4 start dropping constantly while taking HAART with no drug resistance developed? In another words, can HAART ever stop working on him after certain age?

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your question. To me it seems that your husband is having a perfectly fine response to treatment. In less than 1 year he has increased his CD4 by over 150 cells (or more than 1000%- I wish I had a stock that did that well!) and his virus is fully suppressed. There is no criteria that states that treatment should be changed if a certain CD4 count is not met while virus is undetectable. Since your husband's CD4 count was so low when he started, his long-term CD4 recovery will be slower and he may end up at a lower level than if he had been able to start sooner...that may not have been an option for him or many others who are not diagnosed until their CD4 is already low. CD4 counts can continue to increase slowly for many years. In most cases it is reasonable to wait and see the trends. One thing in his favor is his young age, over age 50 or 55 the response may be even slower. Best, Joe

What should I continue?
Early start of treatment