Taking Atripla during the day

Drs. Young and McGowan, first let me say thanks and how much I appreciate this site. I just wanted to share something rather than ask a question, if that's OK.

I started taking Atripla (along with Ambien to help me counteract side effects) in June when I was diagnosed. Low CD4, too. Ugh. Atripla caused a doubling of the CD4 count (70s to 140s) in 3-5 months and I'm on my way to an improved immune system!

Missed ONE dose at night a couple of months ago and immediately took it the next morning, totally expecting all sorts of nervous system issues. Didn't have any. Returned to my nighttime dosing that evening.

A couple of weeks ago, my new ID doc suggested that she'd like for me to taper off Ambien (I'm addicted after taking it for 7+ months). She suggested trying Atripla during the day since I felt okay the one time I did it. And it's been FINE! No side effects at all and I think it's because the stomach is TOTALLY empty at 5:30am when I wake. I drink a Diet Coke or coffee at 8 or so and proceed with my day. Almost completely off the Ambien now, too.

Just wanted to share this with Atripla-experienced folks that daytime dosing may not be as scary as you've read. :-) I know 95% of the users take it at night, but this is a better option for me.

Hello and thanks for your post.

Your's is a valuable anecdote that might help some patients who are taking Atripla (or other efavirenz regimens) who might have challenges with the evening dosing.

Note that not everyone can succeed with daytime dosing, but it could be worth a try for some.

Thanks for sharing.

BY

lab tests
Bactrim for the rest of my life???