should i continue pep

i had vaginal sex with a hiv+ male 3 days ago. the condom broke and there was semen in my vagina. due to the use of condom my vagina was left swollen and sore. ny partners viral load is undetected. i was given 7days worth of combivir (is this enough? i have been reading u need 28days worth) from my doctor within 8hrs of this encounter. i have been reading about side effects and am scared by the drugs severity. i have read varying info saying that i have between a 1 in 100 chance to a 1 in 100,000 chance of contracting hiv. i dont want to take the combivir, its making me nauseous and lethargic. i have had 5 tablets out of 14. what r my chances of contracting hiv from this encounter, and should i persevere with the combivir, and is 7days enough? thanks, a

Response from Dr. McGowan

If your partner is HIV+ then it would be best to complete the 28 days of PEP. Even if his viral load is undetectable in the blood (plasma) he may have some virus present in the semen. Although the risks would be low with his viral load undetectable there could be some risk, especially with your vagina being swollen. If the combivir makes you sick speak to your doctor about alternatives for PEP.

Best,

Joe

CD4 Count
lab tests