Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

CD4 Count
Jan 25, 2010

I would like to know what are safe CD4 counts for HIV Positive people & what is the normal CD4 count for unaffected people.

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your question. Think of the CD4 count as a continuous number, so there are no exact cutoffs for what is good and bad.

Generally having a CD4 count below 200 would put a person at risk for opportunistic infections related to AIDS. Getting the CD4 count above 200 is the first goal of treatment.

Recent information suggests that if you can get or keep your CD4 count above 500 you can greatly reduce your risk for getting sick from other conditions such as heart, liver and kidney disease that can be linked to imbalance in the immune system. These are not the usual AIDS related conditions, but we now know that HIV can increase the risk for many conditions due to its effects on the immune system.

A "normal" CD4 count will vary from person to person and by which laboratory you have your testing. In my hospital we consider the normal range for CD4 to be 480-1460. One way of getting a sense of what normal would be for you would be to ask your doctor to show you the "CD4 to CD8 ratio". This test gives you the balance between the 2 major types of T cells. When that number gets to around 1.0 or higher, that is normal for you.

Best,

Joe

Previous
Should I start meds
Next
should i continue pep

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.