Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Should I start meds
Jan 23, 2010

I tested positive (unconclusive) in Jan 2002 anonymous clinic, they told me to retest with my doc to confirm results as it was not 100% certain due to some issue.

I have been so freaked out since then that i have avoided going back altogether. What are my chances of being positive for the last 8 years and not having any symptoms at all, even when i get colds and flus i fight them off very quick without meds?

Do you think i am really pos?

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for your post.

First, if your first test was inconclusive, then it was inconclusive-- that means that you did not test positive in 2002.

The only way to be sure about your status and to protect your health is to get a second test. There are many people who can remain entirely asymptomatic for years with HIV; your symptoms (or lack thereof) don't provide significant reassurance about your potential HIV status.

Hence, I have no idea (nor should you) if your positive or negative. Just get tested, if your negative, you can end years of feeling stressed out. If your positive, you can begin the process of doing the right things for your health, to protect your future good health for many years to come.

BY

Previous
NEUROPATHY
Next
CD4 Count

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.