Running out of meds

I recently discovered I am sensitive to almost every drug used for HAART. The ones that dont cause rashes or turn me orange, cause severe diarrhea with weight loss. My doctor has indicated that there arent any standard treatments left. Currently, I am only taking Truvada and Isentress in hopes they will keep the virus under control. Are there any new drugs or studies I should ask about?

Hello and thank you for your post.

Sounds like you've had many side effects or allergy to HIV medications. While this is unusual, many have some degree of this issue.

Fortunately, you've wound up on a very potent and now recommended first-line treatment combination of tenofovir+FTC (Truvada) and raltegravir (Isentress). You can get further information about these guidelines at TheBody.com's link.

There are other drugs in development, none currently meet the standard of US national treatment guidelines-- so for now, I'd focus on the positive- namely that you're on a highly recommended and well studied regimen. Provided that you stay adherent, there's little reason to think that this regimen won't work for many, many years.

Be well, BY

fixed dose
NEUROPATHY