Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV+ Alcoholic, question regarding my marijuana use
May 1, 1998

I am an HIV+ heterosexual male; I also am an alcoholic, recovering with no relapses for 15 months). I am 32yrs old and have been positive for approximately 8 months. I am due to on start a drug trial soon (d4t in combo), but presently take no medication for my condition.

I would like to know whether there is any potential long term benefits in the use of marijuana and the cure or suppression of the virus.

I am well aware of the effects of substance abuse and am probably trying to justify my marijuana intake, but I would like to know.

Thank you for this excellent forum.

Response from Dr. Currier

I am not aware of any studies that demonstrate long term benefits of marijuana in the treatment of HIV infection. There are some risks associated with smoking and potential problems with fungal contamination. Many people do report improvement in appetite and relief from pain, but overall I am afraid you know the answer. Good luck with your treatment study.

-JC

Previous
vitamins and anti-viral protease inhibitor?
Next
Marijuana and Side Effects

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.