HIV+ Alcoholic, question regarding my marijuana use

I am an HIV+ heterosexual male; I also am an alcoholic, recovering with no relapses for 15 months). I am 32yrs old and have been positive for approximately 8 months. I am due to on start a drug trial soon (d4t in combo), but presently take no medication for my condition.

I would like to know whether there is any potential long term benefits in the use of marijuana and the cure or suppression of the virus.

I am well aware of the effects of substance abuse and am probably trying to justify my marijuana intake, but I would like to know.

Thank you for this excellent forum.

Response from Dr. Currier

I am not aware of any studies that demonstrate long term benefits of marijuana in the treatment of HIV infection. There are some risks associated with smoking and potential problems with fungal contamination. Many people do report improvement in appetite and relief from pain, but overall I am afraid you know the answer. Good luck with your treatment study.

-JC

vitamins and anti-viral protease inhibitor?
Marijuana and Side Effects