Atripla (I should have started taking it at night)

I started Atripla 4 weeks ago. No previous therapy. I have been taking it when I get up in the morning. After two weeks my doctor suggested I take it a little later with food to ease the side affects. After another two weeks the side affects are still too much to be comfortably driving/working and I would like to change the schedule to take them at night.

My doctor said that to change the schedule I should just skip a morning dose and continue that night. My last blood work showed 11270 VL & 986 Tcell.

Is this really the best way to change the timing of the Atripla dose?

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your qusetion.

Usually we would recommend that Atripla be taken at night before bedtime on an empty stomach. Food can increase the absorption of the medicine and increase the side effects. Taking it 2 hours after a meal is best.

Taking it before bedtime may also be better because you can "sleep off" most of the nervous system side effects. Many people tolerate the meds better after a couple of weeks.

Joe

HIV Meds with Pneumonia???
Latent tb