Question about my children.

Hello doctor, I m 40 years female from India, My husband was tested pos in 1997, then me too, at that time my children were 2 and 6 years old, they were not tested. My husband expired in the year 1999. Then I started my treatment of viraday in the year 2009 june when my cd4 count was 230 in oct my cd4 was 501 and also gained 7 kgs, my question is that my children who are 17 an 14 years of age now and not been tested for hiv till date and are also nonsymptomatic and are also healthy can I consider them as hiv negetive or is there any chance of infection?

Hello and thank you for your post from India.

I'm sorry to hear about your husband and your HIV diagnosis; fortunately, it seems like you've found excellent medications and care. Further, I'd think that it is quite unlikely that your 17 and 14 year old apparently healthy children should have HIV. This is because most children who are born HIV+ develop symptoms in the first years of life; that the risk of transmission from infected mother to child is only about 25%.

Nevertheless, I'm not sure why the children have not yet been HIV tested- clearly you have access to HIV medical care. A simple HIV test will resolve the issue definitively.

Be well, BY

CD 4 count
in search of HIV specialist in Los Angeles