Medics holiday

Is there time in life when I can be allowed to stop medications if I have started HIV treatments?.

Hello and thank you for your post.

In general, I don't proactively recommend that my patients stop their HIV treatment. There are a number of reasons for this, but most importantly, we know that discontinuation of treatment is associated with quick drops in CD4 cells and a significant increase in the risk of HIV- and non-HIV related complications.

This doesn't meant that people don't or can't stop, only that there are risks. If there are compelling reasons to stop treatment, such as drug toxicity, poor adherence or financial issues, then of course, doctors and patients might decide to hold medications-- this later situation should be done under medical supervision and continued monitoring of health and laboratory measures.

I hope this helps.

BY

HIV medication question
CD 4 count