Beginning of the end???

I have been undectable for server years and am 59 years old. I have had no OI's and have had a CD4 count of 780 to 830 until the last six months when my CD4 count dropped to 530 and stayed there for the next test. My viral load has stayed undetectable but I'm afraid this is the beginning of the end of my successful treatment and overall deterioration of my health and final result. Is there a more potent medication than atripla that I can take at this juncture or is this just the expected somewhat reduced life expectancy beginning? Help me understand this severe drop in CD4's.

Hello and thanks for your post.

I don't think that your lab reports portend the "beginning of the end" at all. If your viral load remains undetectable, I think that your HIV treatment is likely working fine.

It would be worth looking at both the CD4 absolute counts (as you have) and CD4 percentages-- do you see a similar decrease in CD4 percent or not? If not, this suggests that you have a decrease in your total white blood cell count rather than a global reduction in CD4s. It could also be that there is another factor (drug toxicity is one among very many) that could be contributing to the decrease the absolute count-- but rest assured that your level remains in the very normal level and not an indicator of any immediate risk.

I'd certainly speak to your healthcare provider about your concerns.

I hope this is helpful, please write back anytime.

BY

continue using trizivir?
atripla and flu vaccin