Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

7 months Dr Joe..
Dec 23, 2009

Hi Dr. Joe, I had unprotected sex with a guy of unknown HIV status 7 months ago. Since then, I've done the HIV DNA by PCR test twice and my last antibody tests at 7 months (Abs HIV 1 and Elisa HIV 2) all came back negative each time. I never took PEP.

My concern is that 6 weeks ago I saw him again, and we kissed him. We kissed 4 times lasting each kiss about 30 sec with open mouth and tongue. I had VERY cracked lips, they hurt at the time and were almost bleeding.

Dr. Joe, I think I didnt get HIV from the one time unprotected sex 7 months ago, but do you think I could have gotten HIV from the kissing 6 weeks ago? I'm worried about it, and actually thinking about getting a therapist for my anxiety.

Thank you Dr. Joe and Merry Christmas

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks and Merry Christmas to yuor too.

First of all you do not know his HIV status so we are not sure you have been exposed to HIV at all. It seems clear that you did not contract HIV from the initial unprotected sex. HIV has been spread through deep kissing, in the setting of poor oral hygiene (gingivitis and gum disease). The risk is very small. Especially if there was no open sore. It has been 6 weeks, you could repeat HIV testing to give you peace of mind, but it sounds as if there is little to worry about.

Have a Happy New Year...worry free...but stay healthy by using condoms!

Joe

Previous
DOCTOR MC GOWAN
Next
please let me hear your answer

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.