Elevated liver/should I switch meds?

I have been on Atripla for since June 2009. Non detectable 1 month later and still non detectable. My liver enzymes seem to be really high. I do not have any Hep infections. I have not had any pre-existing liver conditions. I do not take any other meds or drink alchohol (other than 3 glasses of wine per month). I do take a multi-vitamin. I have never done drugs.

Here are my labs that are out of wack starting 10/20/2008. alk phos 103, ggt 35, ast 37, alt 37. cd4 147 cd4% 25.2 cd4/cd8 .68 to 1. 4/6/2009 alk phos 129, ggt 133, ast 56, alt 85, cd4 147, cd4% 26.9, cd4/cd8 1.26 to 1. 8/7/2009 alk phos 173, ggt 317, ast 122, alt 182, cd4 162, cd4 % 26.4, cd4/cd8 1.35 to 1. 11/29/2009 alk phos 157, ggt 355, ast 133, alt 246, cd4 153, cd4% 32.7, cd4/cd8 1.77 to 1.

My cd4% and cd4/cd8 both seem to be in the normal range. Any ideas on low cd4 count? Also, I suspect, from reading the forums that maybe the efavirenz may be the culprit. I am thinking about switching from Atripla to truvada and maybe issentress.

Do you have any advice on the elevated liver enzymes (is it the efavirenz?) Do you have any recommendations on alternative hiv meds? Do you know why my cd4 is so low while my cd4% is normal and cd4/cd8 ration is normal?

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your question. It seems that some of the increase in liver abnormalities was starting before you were on meds..based on the 4/6/09 readings. Certainly things may have been worsened by effects of efavirenz on the liver, or the inflammation may be due to an immune reconstitution effect on the liver. One thing to be sure is to ask that your doctor has checked not just for antibodies against hepatitis B and C, but has also looked for the virus directly (hepatitis B DNA and a hepatitis C PCR). Sometimes people with HIV can have hepatitis virus and not make antibodies. Other possibilities are auto-immune hepatitis especially since the GGT is high (this is also common in alcohol use). You should have a scan to see if you have "fatty liver" which can cause some of these findings.

Changing meds is also an option especially since the levels of your liver tests have gone up over 5 times from their pre-treatment levels. Switches would have to be based on adherence tests of your virus. Isentress with truvada should be fine since you have been undetectable on Atripla and Isentress is metabolized differently than efavirenz. But you should also be sure your doctor is working up the liver issues as well.

Best, Joe

About hiv
Follow up to Dr. McGowan's Answer