i donated blood but now im terrified

hello Dr. my question is as follows,i donated blood and i thought it was the red cross because the logo looked similiar after the donation i realized it wasn't the red cross after all the staff was very desperate for my blood they basically sweet talked me into it more over i have a six year old daughter who means the world to me and i am afraid about them sticking me with a re used needle and me being exposed to blood bourne paths' is this likely to occur in this day and age? also the needle looked squeaky clean and the tubing was filled with a clear fluid but nothing red? ps sorry for the long question but i do very much so value your opinion furthermore i thought i was saving a life now im a nervous wwreck please help ty..

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your question.

Donating blood will not put you at risk for acquiring infections.

If a needle had been re-used, it is possible to pick up infection, such as hepatiis C in that manner. This would be extremely rare in a health care facility in the US. There have been reports of transmissions of hepatitis in the setting when needles had been re-used to vaccinate patients from a multi-dose bottle of vaccine. All legitimate blood donation centers would use completely clean needles and tubing. If you saved any material from the center or can go back and find out their name, you can check with your local health department to be sure thay meet all the necessary standards.

Best, Joe

I'm very concerned
RE concerned