I'm very concerned

It's been 7 weeks since I had a high risk encounter. For the second full week after the encounter I was on epivir and zidovudine as I had acute symptoms (fever, shakes, night sweats, tingling, sore throat, not flu like bt more viral like). 6 weeks afer the exposure, which was 4 weeks afer I stopped the antiretrovirals, I tested negative with both the Antibdy test as well as the DNA by PCR test. However I still have swollen glands, a slight temperature, and generally feel weak. That has lasted prettuch the full 7 weeks. Also, three weeks after the encounter my cognitive abilities deteriorated pretty markedly for about three weeks and are just now returnng to normal. In the last couple days I developed a canker sore. Could the DNA by PCR have been a false negative? I know they say 99% accurate after 28 days but could the antiretrovirals have thrown it off? Thank you so much for your help

Response from Dr. McGowan

I am sorry you are not feeling well.

If your symptoms were related to acute HIV infection you should have had a detactable viral load at that time. 2 weeks of zidovudine and epivir (lamivudine) would not be enough to suppress the high viral level that occurs with new infection. Since you have tested negative by PCR after 6 weeks you will likely remain negative. If you want to follow out the protocol and have an HIV test at 3 months and 6 montths post exposure that should also give you peace of mind. Do not worry further about this exposure, just use it to help motivate you to practice safer sex going forward.

Best, Joe

Early Meds guy's question
i donated blood but now im terrified