Single v. Twice a Day Dose; Isentress/Truvada

I am on the trial for the single vs. twice a day dosing for Isentress/Truvada. I am undetectable and my latest numbers at the end of October were 544 at 23.1% after 11 months of therapy, which puts me right at the threshold for what is supposed to be a normal absolute CD4 number for a man of 46 (the percentage remains out of whack yet improving.) Have there been news reported on the efficacy of one type of dosing v. the other in the study? I am always stressing about timing of dosing so it would be so nice to only have to take the pills, w once a day and thus stress out only a day!

Hello and thanks for your post and participation in the clinical trial.

To my knowledge, there has been no early release of information from the once- vs twice-daily raltegravir (Isentress) study. My best hunch is that the medication will likely perform as well whether dosed once- or twice-daily, but that is the subject of the study.

That said, there is a fair bit of leeway in dosing of current medications. I generally say that if your within 2-4 hours of your target time of dosing, you needn't worry at all.

Hopefully, the study will confirm that the dosing effectiveness is the same, so stay tuned.

Be well, BY

flu vaccine A
Early Meds guy's question