truvada + efavirenz combo

I was recently diagnosed hiv positive with a CD4 count in the high 800's and a sub-2000 viral load, despite these good numbers my doctor suggested early treatment which I agreed to using the combination of Truvada and Stocrin (efavirenz).. I've not seen these 2 drugs grouped together in any of the preferred drug combinations listed on your website.. Any feedback on this course of medication would be greatly appreciated. I am currently in Australia, where Atripla is unavailable. thanks.

G'day and thanks for your post from Australia.

You've been caught in the varied trade names for the medication efavirenz. In many parts of the world, EFV is called Stocrin, here in the US (where most of TheBody.com's posts come from), efavirenz is Sustiva. Truvada + efavirenz (call it Sustiva or Stocrin, or one of several generics) is also the same medications found in the the triple co-formulated (three-in-one) medication called Atripla. (Just to be clear, I'll tend to spell name- or trade-brands, including coformulations with a capital letter; generic names in lower case.

If you search on Truvada+efavirenz or Atripla, you'll find a lot of material. This particular combination is extremely commonly used and supported by much clinical trials data and national and international treatment guidelines.

I hope this helps. Happy holiday season to you.

BY

From Kaletra to Reyataz & Norvir
empiezo tratamiento