From Kaletra to Reyataz & Norvir

After being on Kaletra for over 4 years & dealing with troublesome diarrhea, my Dr thought a new regiment might be in order to avoid the chronic diarrhea that can be caused by Kaletra. I'm now taking Reyataz & Norvir unfortunately the third day after being on Reyataz & Norvir I have had some serious headaches. I spoke to my Dr and he stated headaches are a common side effect with Reyataz. My questions to you are do the headaches ease up and or hopefully go away within a short period of time once your body gets used to Reyataz & what exactly is in Reyataz that causes these headaches? Since being on Ryataz the diarrhea from the kaletra has passed I really have no desire to go back on Kaletra. Hoping you have some valuable insight. Currently I take Reyataz & Norvir with my morning meal & then Truvada with my evening meal.

Hello and thanks for your post.

Usually the regimen that your taking is very well tolerated; it's quite uncommon for me to see the headaches that you're experiencing. I am happy to hear that the diarrhea that you've had has improved.

That said, many of the mild-moderate side effects of HIV medications improve in the first weeks of treatment.

One thing that might be worth trying is to take all of your medications, once-daily, after your evening meal. This way, if you do have headaches, there's a good chance that you'll sleep through them.

Worse case, you and your doctor could entertain switching to another protease inhibitor, or depending on your past treatment and resistance history, another "third" agent, such as Sustiva, Isentress or Selsentry.

Be well, BY

A table of safe timing allowance for each HIV drug
truvada + efavirenz combo