needle Stick At Work

i had a needle stick at work while doing an I&D, it was with a 23-25'', i went to the ER and was placed on Combivier BID, the pt blood was neg Hep pannel and neg HIV, the med is makeing me very sick the guideline all say it is safe to stop PEP, do you agree?

Response from Dr. McGowan

I am sorry to hear about your needlestick. I agree with the assessment that HIV PEP is not indicated if the source patient his HIV negative as your question implies. I would only continue PEP if I thought that there was a strong possibility that the source patient may have recently acquired HIV. In other words, if the source patient has recently acquired HIV, it is possible that the HIV antibody test may come back negative (pre-seroconversion). In this case the HIV viral load should be detectable (usually at very high levels) in the source patient. Thanks Joe

After PEP
Failing on Truvada and Efavirenz