Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

After PEP
Nov 29, 2009

I was potentially infected with HIV. The probability was 100%. I completed the 28 days of PEP. Went through the wash out period and now waiting for the tload test to come back. It takes 2 weeks for the results to come back. So I have to wait another week for the the results. I went to the clinic today and got tested for HIV antibodies and it was negative. It has been three week since I have been off of the regiment. Is the antibody test reliable at this time? Or is the Tload test more accurate? Thanks for our advice.

Response from Dr. McGowan

My suggestion is that after your PEP regimen which you have completed that you have HIV testing 1, 3, and 6 months post-exposure. You should be reassured that your first HIV antibody test came back negative but I would strongly suggest the follow up HIV antibody tests at month 3 and month 6 post exposure. I would not obtain HIV viral load testing unless you experience symptoms consistent with acute HIV infection but this is not as likely at this stage. Most cases of acute HIV infection occur two to four weeks after exposure to HIV. Thanks Joe

Previous
Early Meds?
Next
needle Stick At Work

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.