After PEP

I was potentially infected with HIV. The probability was 100%. I completed the 28 days of PEP. Went through the wash out period and now waiting for the tload test to come back. It takes 2 weeks for the results to come back. So I have to wait another week for the the results. I went to the clinic today and got tested for HIV antibodies and it was negative. It has been three week since I have been off of the regiment. Is the antibody test reliable at this time? Or is the Tload test more accurate? Thanks for our advice.

Response from Dr. McGowan

My suggestion is that after your PEP regimen which you have completed that you have HIV testing 1, 3, and 6 months post-exposure. You should be reassured that your first HIV antibody test came back negative but I would strongly suggest the follow up HIV antibody tests at month 3 and month 6 post exposure. I would not obtain HIV viral load testing unless you experience symptoms consistent with acute HIV infection but this is not as likely at this stage. Most cases of acute HIV infection occur two to four weeks after exposure to HIV. Thanks Joe

Early Meds?
needle Stick At Work