The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Scared, please help
Nov 29, 2009

Thank you for your advice,

I woman I met in a bar performed unprotected oral sex on me. If she did it with me, she probably does it with other guys. A couple of weeks later i saw a small cut on my penis. It wasn't bleeding, and I don't know if it was there the night I was with the lady.

11.5 weeks later I had a rapid HIV test and a NAAT test. I was 3 days short of the 12 week mark. Both tests were negative. I know the rapid test looks for antibodies, but I don't know much about the NAAT test, or how accurate it is.

What are the chances I could test positive later after having these tests at 11.5 weeks? Could I have a medical condition that I don't know about that would cause me to take longer to test positive?

Thank you very much

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thank you for your question. Facts and action are the best ways to reduce the fear that you are experiencing. The risk of acquiring HIV through oral sex is much less than with vaginal or anal intercourse. Nonetheless, you did the right thing by obtaining an HIV test. A negative HIV test 11 weeks after a possible exposure is very reassuring. My suggestion is that you obtain a second HIV test (rapid or other HIV antibody test) six months or 24 weeks after the exposure. Also it is important that you get yourself evaluated for other sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV (e.g. syphilis) An ulcer on the penis might have resembled a small "cut" on your penis that you describe. Thanks Joe

lipo cause?
Question about Selzentry's side effects?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint