Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

JOE I TRUST YOU!!!
Nov 29, 2009

DR JOSEPH,

WILL YOU PLEASE HELP ME!!!!! I HAVE BEEN WORRING MY SELF SICK ABOUT LOW RISK ENCOUNTER THAT I HAD A FEW DAYS AFTER NEW YEARS 2008, WHICH MAKES IT ALMOST A YEAR SINCE THAT ENCOUNTER IT WAS FINGERING WITH WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN PRE CUM BUT NOT SURE..... WHAT WORRIES ME IS FIVE DAYS LATER I GOT AN ISOLATED SORE THROAT THAT LASTED FOR THREE DAY THEN THAT NIHT CAME ON A HEAD ACHE AND FEVER AND CHILLS VERY FLU LIKE WHICH WHENT AWAY OVER NIGHT THEN A REALLY BAD COLD CAME ON BASED OFF WHAT I HAVE READ AND HAVE BEEN TOLD BY HIV DOCTORS ARS WOULD NOT HAPPEN IN THIS FORM DUE TO THE SORE THROAT COMING ON IOSLATED WITH NO FEVER NOR RASH NO MUSCLE ACHES NOR SWOLLEN LYMPH NOISES AND ARS ARE NOT NORMALLY FOLLOWED BE A COLD? SO JUST TO GAVE MY SELF PEACE OF MIND DO YOU AGREE DO MY SYMPTOMS SOUND LIKE ARS TO YOU ?

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thank you for your question. ARS is short for acute retroviral syndrome (or the symptoms associated with acute HIV infection). In those individuals who contract HIV after an exposure to the virus, symptoms typically occur two to four weeks after the exposure. As you have stated: fever, sore throat, a mild rash and swollen glands are among the most common symptoms associated with acute HIV infection. The Centers of Disease Control in the United States suggests that any individual who has been sexually active should have at least one HIV test. This is a so called universal testing strategy. My recommendation to you is that instead of trying to figure out whether your symptoms were consistent with acute HIV infection or ARS, is that you take an HIV test. This will provide you with true peace of mind you refer to in your question.

Thanks Joe

Previous
Dr McGowan Please Help Me (I'm so sad)
Next
wet kiss

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.