Dr McGowan Please Help Me (I'm so sad)

Hello Dr McGowan. I recently had anal intercourse as the top with a man I later found out to be positive. He did put a condom on and the sex was very brief 2-3 seconds. But when I ran it under the tap the condom had a tear at the reservoir tip. How would hiv infect me in the situation I just described am I at high risk for infection? I was put on PEP 6 hrs after the initial condom situation and am on day 18. The condom didnt break as my head was no exposed and aside from running it under the water I would not have seen the tear. But the fact that he was positive rocks me to my core. We did not engage in kissing or oral sex.

My PEP consisted of Combivir and Keletra is this regiment effective is PEP effective over all? I am afraid to Test I don't want to die emotionally before I die physically.

Response from Dr. McGowan

This situation has clearly upset you. Please let me provide you wiht some reassurance. First, you were using condoms which substantially reduces your HIV exposure risk. Second, you were placed on post exposure prophylaxis (or PEP) very promptly (within hours of the exposure). PEP is most effective if taken as soon as possible after probable exposure to HIV. Third, it is important that you test yourself for HIV. In the long run, this will give you the piece of my mind you need. Fourth, please complete the full course of PEP and see the doctor who placed you on PEP. The regimen you were placed on is perfectly acceptable. Your provider can monitor you for any side effects. Good luck, Joe

antihistamines and haart
JOE I TRUST YOU!!!