Should I get tested??

Hi Dr. Joe, Even if I am not at significant risk, there IS still a risk of contracting hiv from a kiss with really cracked lips. I didnt see any blood on the guy's lips, but I'm not sure, I was not really paying attention to that. Should I test at 3 months then at 6 months? Could you please advice me on this? I have a husband and a baby, and this is driving me insane the fact that I can not continue my normal life.

Thank you again..

Dr. Joseph, I met a guy online about 1 month ago, and I saw him today. We kissed, 4 times, lasting each kiss about 5 seconds, with open mounth and tongue. I have very craked lips (because of the cold/dry weather) and I'm scared he might be hiv positive. Should I start pep or what should i do. I dont know this guy well enough, and regreted it as soon as i left.. Please advice me, if i have to take the pep, i'll do it. Thank you

Advertisement Response from Dr. McGowan

Tranmission of HIV from kissing is very rare. Just having dry chapped lips would not put you at significant risk. The case of transmission involved gingivitis with gum disease (bleeding gums) and deep kissing. I would not worry.

Joe

Response from Dr. McGowan

Again,

The risk to you is minimal. I would like to ressure you. But, there is certainly no harm in having yourself tested at 3 and 6 months if you need that for peace of mind.

Joe

I read your response to getting HIV in 80's vs 20's
Early Meds