Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I read your response to getting HIV in 80's vs 20's
Nov 27, 2009

I was diagnosed September 1991 and have been undetectable for almost 15 years. I have been on lots of meds but my question is this does this mean I could still develop resistance after all these years. I have also never had an optimistic either.

Thanks in advance.

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for the question.

The key is that your virus has been suppressed. We may change medications from time to time if side effects develop (or to avoid side effects) and rethink treatment combinations when newer meds become available. These changes or substitutions are generally safe as long as we end up with as many fully active meds in the mix as we started out with. As long as your virus is undetectable, it is extremely unlikely that you will need to worry about developing any drug resistance. The virus needs to grow to be able to mutate..and you have stopped it from growing.

Keep up the good work!, Joe

Previous
concerned
Next
Should I get tested??

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.