I read your response to getting HIV in 80's vs 20's

I was diagnosed September 1991 and have been undetectable for almost 15 years. I have been on lots of meds but my question is this does this mean I could still develop resistance after all these years. I have also never had an optimistic either.

Thanks in advance.

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for the question.

The key is that your virus has been suppressed. We may change medications from time to time if side effects develop (or to avoid side effects) and rethink treatment combinations when newer meds become available. These changes or substitutions are generally safe as long as we end up with as many fully active meds in the mix as we started out with. As long as your virus is undetectable, it is extremely unlikely that you will need to worry about developing any drug resistance. The virus needs to grow to be able to mutate..and you have stopped it from growing.

Keep up the good work!, Joe

concerned
Should I get tested??