HIV related thrombopenie

Dear Friends, my doctor told me that I have a HIV related thrombopenie and due to that I will have to start with truvada regardless of my 400 CD4 count and low viral low as my body has genereted a sort of autoinmune, which I belive has to do with the vaccin agains the mexican flu, bt of course that has not been confirmed. Ths seem to be common among HIV positive patients. I have been taking a vitamin called Biolean II thisd last year,which could also be the cause of this. Anyway I have now the pills and I will start tomorrow 27/11/2009. I am in denial and desbilieve, please let me know your thoughts, Klaas from Amsterdam

Hello Klaas from Amsterdam,

If you repeatedly have persistent thrombocytopenia (low platelet counts), then I'd be in favor of starting on HIV medications. The reason that I say repeated is that there are many transient conditions that could lead to lower counts- most not significant. You've not commented on this point, but I'd trust that your doctor has evaluated this; further that low platelet counts could place you at risk of hemmorhage or even stroke. This situation is precisely one that I encounter in one or two patients every year-- with precisely the same general recommendation.

Your CD4 count of 400 is already close to the standard threshold to start treatment, even without the low platelet count.

I trust that you'll receive an additional medication with Truvada (tenofovir+FTC), since two drug therapy is very much not recommended.

So, Klaas, worry not- I'm quite certain that your health and disbelief will improve in the near term. Please write back and let us know how you're doing.

BY

Starting med soon but need to travel
Doctor prescibed PEP for 21 days