Starting med soon but need to travel

Dr,

I will probably need to start medication within the next week weeks (i.e. early Dec09). However, I need to travel to Hong Kong (8hr time difference from my home in London) in Feb10. Everything I've read seems to suggest that adherence is critical, especially at the beginning of the treatment before VL becomes undetectable. What is the best course of action for me?

Thanks for your help

Billy

Hello Billy and thank you for your post from London.

You are correct that adherence to your treatment is very important. However, since your trip involves one set of flights, at most, you'll either be 12 hours late, or 12 hours early with a dose.

What I generally advice for travelers is once onboard your flight(s) to set your watch to the destination-- then take your medicines and sleep as close to the destination time as possible.

Depending on your medications, this could mean increased risk of side effects if you wind up taking two doses close together than usual; if this is the case (and I'd discuss this with your doctor, since every regimen could be different), then I'd just skip the next dose and carry on as usual when you arrive in Hong Kong.

I hope this helps. Write back anytime with follow up questions. In any event, please enjoy some of the best dim sum in the world for me.

BY

switching from d4t to AZT
HIV related thrombopenie