should i start atripla or wait

I was diagnosed with Hiv April 1,2004 so about 5 years ago I have tried to stay of meds because of fear of the side effects and the posibility of the virus becoming resistant beacause of accidentally skipping a dosage. my numbers are always up and down my viral load is 7,000 and my CD4 is 174. four months ago my viral load was 0 and my CD4 was 194....I'm on the fence here because I don't want to start something and later have worse reprocusions than I am experiencing now. My doctor wants to procede to meds since day one....but I just need someone esles Host 2nd opinion. thankyou.

Hello and thanks for your post.

You should start treatment. Your CD4 count is not really going up and down-- both test values are approximately the same and confirm that you have immunologic AIDS.

Current medications, like Atripla can be very well tolerated and are not as vulnerable to the effects as missed doses as older, out-dated medications (this isn't to say that you should strive to miss doses).

I have seen far too many people avoid starting medications, ignoring the very real threat of life threatening HIV complications, on the small chance of largely reversible side effects. Indeed, prolonging the initiation of treatment, especially with CD4s in your range, not only increases the risk of an AIDS-related infection or tumor, but increases the risk of medication-related side effects.

Please talk to your doctor, case manager or support group-- perhaps they can help further address your concerns.

Be well; write back anytime.

BY

Third time is the charm
tpha reply