Third time is the charm

Is taking Isentra and Truvada a good combo? My Dr. refused to take me off of Atripla and I can not afford it my insurance will not cover that medication. It will however cover the two I mentioned. Will they be as affective?

Hello and thanks for your post.

The combination of tenofovir/FTC (Truvada) and raltegravir (Isentress) is a combination of FDA-approved medications that has shown excellent clinical trials results (look up the STARTMRK study)-- besting Atripla's medications in initial viral load drop, CD4 count increase and some side effects. Because of relatively limited confirmatory studies and the twice daily dosing of raltegravir, the combination has not (yet) been recommended for first line use in our current US- or European treatment guidelines.

Nevertheless, an increasing number of patient in the US are initiating treatment with the combination-- primarily to avoid the side effects of efavirenz or protease inhibitors.

Hope this helps, BY

Marijuana and Antiretroviral Medications
should i start atripla or wait