Nov 1, 2009
If I already have HIV and I have sex with another HIVer, is there risk of being reinfected or having any type of double infection?
Response from Dr. McGowan
Thanks for the question.
Yes a person can get re-infected (or as we call it "super-infected). This means you could pick up a second type of HIV in addition to the one you have. There have been cases of people who have had a stable viral load for a while who suddenly have a change in pattern. Sometimes drug resistant virus could be picked up and compromise treatment. Of course this would be much less likely if both people have undetectable viral loads.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Itchy Skin After Insertive Anal Sex Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Jock Itch After Unprotected Oral Sex Without Ejaculation Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Swollen Glands After Receiving Oral Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Tingling In Feet After Mutual Masturbation Worried I Have HIV
- White Tongue After Oral Sex Worried I Have HIV
- How Long Before Symptoms Of Std Show Up?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.