Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dr McGowan...what to do??
Oct 31, 2009

Dr.- Thank you for time you spend helping others. My question is in regards to the need to retest beyond 6 months due to the following symptoms?: white hairy tongue, night sweats, angular chelitis, folliculitis, frequent sore throats that cause my voice to change, pain behind both knees, purple/blue spot the size of a nickel on the roof of my mouth; all in the past 6 months. I have had negative tests at baseline, 3 & 6 months (and a few others in between, all neg).

If there is a recommendation for further testing, which tests should I have done?

Thank you again for your time, your reply means a lot.

Response from Dr. McGowan

As long as you ahve had no further possible expsosures in between, no there is no need to retest for HIV after 6 months. In fact many people do not test beyond 3 months.

Your symptoms are not diagnostic of any particular disease and could be caused by many things. You need to find a good internist or family practitioner who will be able to take a good history of your symptoms, do a good physical and try to pull things together.

Do not obsess about HIV..be glad the test is negative and move on with your life..and take steps to remain HIV-free by using condoms.

Best, Joe

Previous
Follow-up to "The Heart of the Matter"
Next
Time to Reduce Meds?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.