Dr McGowan...what to do??

Dr.- Thank you for time you spend helping others. My question is in regards to the need to retest beyond 6 months due to the following symptoms?: white hairy tongue, night sweats, angular chelitis, folliculitis, frequent sore throats that cause my voice to change, pain behind both knees, purple/blue spot the size of a nickel on the roof of my mouth; all in the past 6 months. I have had negative tests at baseline, 3 & 6 months (and a few others in between, all neg).

If there is a recommendation for further testing, which tests should I have done?

Thank you again for your time, your reply means a lot.

Response from Dr. McGowan

As long as you ahve had no further possible expsosures in between, no there is no need to retest for HIV after 6 months. In fact many people do not test beyond 3 months.

Your symptoms are not diagnostic of any particular disease and could be caused by many things. You need to find a good internist or family practitioner who will be able to take a good history of your symptoms, do a good physical and try to pull things together.

Do not obsess about HIV..be glad the test is negative and move on with your life..and take steps to remain HIV-free by using condoms.

Best, Joe

Follow-up to "The Heart of the Matter"
Time to Reduce Meds?