Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Follow-up to "The Heart of the Matter"
Oct 31, 2009

Dr. McGowan,

I want to thank you for your prompt reply. I appreciate your honest assessment. I was hoping you'd say you never saw someone with good numbers, on meds or not, up and die. Having said that, I understand this virus is different for everyone, there are many variables, and you don't have a crystal ball.

As I said, I think many of us "newbies" don't know a lot about this virus. We just remember the media images from the past of people with AIDS. I'm sure many of us actually do have friends with HIV, but just don't know it because they are on meds and can keep it secret. Many of us don't have someone we know personally who has had it for years and are doing great who we can look to. Again, this could be because they are on meds and healthy, so we don't know. Just like people would look at me and think I'm very healthy and HIV negative. I actually keep gaining weight not on meds.

It is one of those things that people like myself have to deal with. I know I feel so fragile now--constantly worried about germs from people or around the house. I'm afraid to go hiking or on vacations, because I'm afraid to be away from medical help. I don't know whether to start planning for death. I realize you're not a therapist. When I see people with terminal cancer, I try to put it all in perspective. And, I try to remember all the people I've talked to online who've had it for 20 yrs or more.

I don't want to monopolize your time as I know you get many questions--because I read them. I guess I don't have another question. I really wanted to thank you for your honest assessment and all you guys do on this site. I know I have to get over being so scared of death and learn to live again. And, I know you are very optimistic about HIVers' prognoses in the Q&As I've read.

Thanks again.

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thank you for your comments.

You will start to relax and feel more at ease when time passes and you realize--hey--I'm doing OK. You are already moving down the steps of dealing with things. Gaining knowledge is a good way to prepare yourself and fight back. I think you will do fine.

You should ask your doctors if there are support groups for you with peers who are going through what you are. Most HIV centers and many ASOs have groups or could refer you for support.

Best,

Joe

Previous
Is the medicines after exposure of 6 months affect the HIV test results?
Next
Dr McGowan...what to do??

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.