5 months now Dr. Joe

Hi Dr. Joe, I just got the results of my hiv EIA test, It was negative. I've been testing every single month for the past 5 months, and they've all come out negative. I now have questions about hiv 2 as well as hiv 1. 1) If my scheduled hiv-1 test (at 6 months) is negative, should i consider myself negative? Can I start having unprotected sex with my husband? 2) I've heard hiv 2 takes longer for a person to seroconvert. I'm planning on doing the hiv 1 and 2 at 6 months. What is the window period for hiv 2 to show? For how many months I need to repeat this test?

Thank you Dr. Joe, I appreciate it.

Response from Dr. McGowan

HIV-2 is less likely to be transmitted than HIV-1 and is slower to cause disease if a person is infected, but the time it takes for the body to make an immune reaction to it is the same as for HIV-1. So if you test neagtive at 6 months you do not have to worry about having contracted either HIV-1 or 2 from your exposure. If you and your husband are monogomous and he is HIV negative you would not have to use a condom with him.

Best,

Joe

Would I be told if my virus had any mutation?
Urgent, should i start pep today?