Would I be told if my virus had any mutation?

Hi Dr. McGowan,

This is the why-not-Insentress dude from a couple of days ago. Thanks for answering that question.

While answering that question, you mentioned, "Assuming that your virus has no resistance mutations (which should be tested for prior to starting meds)you have many options for first line treatment."

Whether or not my virus had any mutations was not mentioned by my physician assistant, I think. Mentioning it is the protocol, right? Though I do remember him saying that if I choose to get on a certain specific med(cant remember which exactly)they needed to do further blood work to see compatibility.

Also, for somebody with cd4 288, viral load in the 104 million mark count, if it were you, which combo would you recommend/do you think is safest?

Thanks a million Doc. I firmly believe you and I are going to be the best of friends. Cheers!!!

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for the follow-up.

It is usual to do a blood test (called a genotype) before starting HIV meds to check your virus for resistance. Some providers may not do this routinely, especially if you live in a part of the country that doesn't have alot of people on HIV meds. You should ask to be sure it was done. Your PA may not have mentioned it to avoid confusing you with lots of info.

There are tests that are needed to be done before certain meds can be used...the best example is a blood test called "HLA B5701" which should be done before using abacavir.

My own choice of meds would have to fit my own prefernces and lifestyle...one size does not fit all.

Best,

Joe

Chantix & methadone
5 months now Dr. Joe