Atypical Response to Atripla

One month ago My CD4 count was 244 and viral load of 18,000. I started Atripla (haven't missed a dose). I just recieved my first lab results since starting Atripla one month ago. My viral load is down to 630 and CD4 count of 465. These are the first "good" lab results I have gotten since diagnosis in February '09. My question is this: Is my response to Atripla common? I understand it may take up to a year for people to acheive undetectable loads. I am just curious if such a positive and diligently effective result is commonly reported after just one month?

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for sharing your story.

Yes, I have seen this type of quick early response many times. It is a reflection on your taking your meds as prescribed. Very rapid drops in viral load have been commonly seen with the class of drugs that anchor Atripla (the NNRTIs). CD4 cell counts usually increase quickly in the first few months and then will continue to increase more slowly over many years. Young people and those whose CD4 counts did not drop too low seem to get the best early response.

I think it is fantastic that you are having a great (and better than usual) response. Keep up the good work!

Joe

Life Expectancy Without Meds
Can I relax now and enjoy life?